Patient Services Operations and Outreach Supervisor
- Salary Range: $16.73 - $19.65 per hour
- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Department: NUNM Health Centers
- Closing Date: Open until filled
The Patient Services Operations & Outreach Supervisor is responsible for managing all aspects of patient outreach and training for the NUNM Health Center at Lair Hill including collecting appropriate patient food screening information, training of all front desk personnel, and performing additional special patient outreach projects in the realm of health center operations. This includes establishing and maintaining positive relationships with providers and staff so as to be included in patient care, as well as implementing and supervising the Food Insecurity Program at NUNM Health Centers. This position is responsible for the operations of Lair Hill and Beaverton operations in the absence of the Director and Assistant Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Receive, track and obtain financial, insurance, payor program applications, authorizations from insurance carriers for office visits, procedures, and/or referrals to specialty providers for all internal, external, and incoming referrals in a timely manner for the Food Insecurity Program.
- Process physician referral orders for the Food Insecurity Program using Epic Referral Tracking System (EMR system).
- Assist the communication process for chart completion and closure.
- Accurately enter notes into Epic regarding financial coverages, referral scheduling, authorizations, or provider review or other notifications. These documents should also be scanned into the appropriate patients chart in Epic.*
- Schedules patients with referred providers, provides necessary paperwork and instructions to patients and specialists prior to appointments.
- Remain updated with approved payor programs and insurance coverages.
- Reports eligibility process outcomes to patient and internal stakeholders.
- Demonstrate and apply knowledge of medical terminology, high proficiency of general medical office procedures including HIPAA regulations.
- Maintains accurate records, tracking the status and receipt of notes for completed referrals.
- Maintains accurate and detailed system for tracking pending authorizations.
- Provides information to and educates patients regarding availability of specialty and other non-covered services.
- Maintains, updates, distributes, and provides information regarding health plan updates and changes to NUNM providers and clinic staff.
- Creates and implements plans to engage patients in MyChart registration and its use while promoting the same among providers.
- Participate in patient engagement and retention programming.
- Assists Primary Care teams in developing and implementing strategies that improve health and health status.
- Attend all required trainings (new hire orientation, OHP application assister training, insurance, HIPAA).
- Maintain strict confidentiality and abide by the NUNM Confidentiality Policies and Procedures.
- Attend training and act as Enrollment Assister for Lair Hill Health Center.
- Serve as a representative of the NUNM community; maintain a warm and welcoming demeanor.
- Contact established and prospective patients via phone and outreach collateral.
- Educate community members on Oregon Health plan eligibility and options as well as the services available at our health centers.
- Refer individuals to community resources as needed.
- Document encounters with patients correctly.
- Practice humbleness in working with communities with whom you do not identify.
- Continuously be open to learning about how to work with marginalized communities.
- Occasionally join NUNM staff and students in outreach efforts off site of campus.
- Assist in creating tabling displays and handing out NUNM collateral.
- Attend occasional check-ins with Director of Operations.
- Act as first contact for Food Insecurity Program.
- Supervise Nutrition students as they identify patients who are positive for Food Insecurity screening.
- Instruct students on proper entry of Food Insecurity referral, analyze referral for proper notes and closure once patient receives access to community resources.
- Coordinate with Director of Operations and Dean of Undergraduate Programs to evaluate efficacy of Food Referral and Insecurity Program and to ensure that patients are gaining adequate access to Food Programs.
- Examine pros and cons within the Food Insecurity Program to promote best practices and improvements.
Front Desk Responsibilities:
- Responsible for initial training of all new Patient Service Representatives (PSR’s) for both Beaverton and Lair Hill Health Centers.
- Ensures all new PSR’s receive basic trainings in Epic workflows, insurance metrics.
- Consistently exhibits behavior and communication skills that demonstrate NUNM commitment to superior customer service, including quality, care and concern with each and every internal and external customer.
- Provides overall direction and communicates organizational objectives and vision to the team.
- Uses key performance metrics (KPls) to drive productivity, accuracy, completeness and timeliness.
- Employs continuous improvement to continually optimize operations.
- Promotes a team approach to delivering quality, cost-effective care to where patient satisfaction is the primary goal.
- Works with Billing Department Manager and the Director of Operations to ensure staff compliance with all insurance and referral policies and procedures.
- Assists in the tracking and coordination of referrals for the Screenwise Program for both Beaverton & Lair Hill Health Centers. Analyzes monthly Screenwise report for missing information to ensure patients receive proper care coordination.
- Acts as liaison between Screenwise Program and NUNM Health Center to confirm receipt of patient information was adequately received on state level.
- With Referral Coordinator, processes referrals in referral report to ensure timely access of patients to care.
- Trains with Referral Coordinator in Transitions of Care to meet NUNM’s Meaningful Use metrics.
- Reports progress, operational issues, organizational opportunities and issues to supervisor.
- Participates actively in organizational meetings as needed.
- Trains in all departments of patient services including Medical Records, Referrals, and Ops in order to cover all aspects of patient services at both Beaverton & Lair Hill Health Centers.
- Ability to step into any patient services role in the event of employee absence and/or for short-term assignment as per the needs of the Beaverton & Lair Hill Health Centers.
- Supervises health center service staff in the absence of Director of Operations and/or Operations Assistant Manager.
- Manages the operations of Lair Hill and Beaverton in the absence of the Director or Assistant Manager.
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor Degree in Health Care field preferred or combination of education and equivalent experience considered.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English mandatory.
- Minimum of 3 years in a position of patient customer service.
- Knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT codes for the purpose of authorizations.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology and procedures.
- Medical office experience with referral/authorization processing for OHP/Medicaid.
- Experience with Epic mandatory.
- Ability to write simple professional correspondence.
- Basic skills using MS office suite.
- Ability to handle a high volume of patient flow with comfort and confidence in multiple provider office.
- Knowledge of public payer programs, insurance plans and their guidelines.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be detail oriented, tactful and professional to resolve disputes, multi-task, work well under pressure and have excellent customer service skills. In addition, must be able to decipher handwriting and spot check for chart errors. Must be proficient in filing and accurate in alphabetizing charts by last name.
Knowledge of Windows applications, photocopier, facsimile, and postage meter. Ability to climb a portable ladder, reach, bend, and squat to file and pull medical records of patients, type 40 words per minute and work in a fast paced, non-structured environment with
For more information please write to email@example.com