Financial Aid Counselor
- Salary Range: $16.73 - $19.65 per hour
- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Department: Financial Aid
- Closing Date: Open until filled
Primary contact for prospective and current students requiring financial aid information and assistance with emphasis to students enrolled in Undergraduate Degree Completion Programs and School of Research and Graduate Studies, and assist the Director of Financial Aid and maintain all records of the Financial Aid Office.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operate independently, multi-task and provide coverage for the Financial Aid Office in the absence of the Director of Financial Aid.
- Provide requested information regarding Financial Aid eligibility and processing to all prospective and incoming students and parents as requested.
- Assist the Director with all functions pertaining to federal student aid including creating materials, processing applications, performing analysis, and packaging and adjustments to cost of attendance.
- Assist the Director with verification of ISIRS, monitoring eligibility, coordinating institutional/regulatory compliance and record keeping and reporting.
- Counsel Graduate & Undergraduate students on application requirements for federal, state and institutional aid. Provide guidance on scholarship process, budget development, loan reliance reduction and curb unnecessary expenditures to minimize debt burden.
- Assist the Director by providing training to staff and student population with respect to financial aid processes, changes and/or updates.
- Participate in all “NCNM Exploration Day” sessions as scheduled by the Admissions Office as well as potential financial aid informational sessions.
- Assist the Director of Financial Aid in coordinating and implementing all aspects of the Federal Direct, Provincial and Private Loan Programs to include loan origination and disbursement, reconciliation of funds with COD/DOE, and coordinating disbursement reports and drawdown with the Business Office.
- Schedule and/or perform all entrance and exit counseling sessions informing students of their rights and responsibilities as a federal loan recipient from initial borrowing to repayment options.
- Assist the Director with awarding and reconciliation of undergraduate aid based programs to include Federal Pell, Oregon Opportunity (OOG) and Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant Programs.
- Assist the Director with enrollment updates and coordination of all graduate, leave of absence and withdrawal exit interviews.
- Assist the Director in processing all Return of Title IV Fund or withdrawal calculations and processing of academic probation related circumstances.
- Maintain accurate records in student financial aid files and perform regular quality control checks on student files to assure federal regulation compliance regarding record keeping.
- Manage all student pre-claim/skip trace accounts and default management with clerical functions as necessary.
- Maintain the Financial Aid Library and file all incoming data regarding federal regulations, cash management and other miscellaneous financial aid updates and information.
Federal Work Study Program Duties:
- Training and assisting all supervisors to develop positions, complete hire paperwork, approve timesheets and ensure overall program compliance.
- Work with and maintain contact with off-campus employers to provide program regulatory information and process billing statements and funds.
- Responsible for administration of Nelnet Online Timesheet System and completion of monthly student payroll which includes communication with software provider.
- Monitor fund expenditures; reconcile monthly accounts with the Human Resources Office to include all GAPS draw downs.
- Monitor and ensure Federal Work-Study Program compliance for all staff and students who participate.
- Update the Financial Aid Office and Federal Work-study Policy & Procedure Manual as needed and enforce appropriate penalties as outlined in the FWS Policy & Procedure Manual.
- Process all import and export functions with appropriate software as needed.
- Provide continuous updates to online job board and work closely with Human Resources Office to establish deadlines, and finalization of monthly payroll.
- Occasional overnight travel may be necessary for training and conference purposes.
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
Requires Bachelor’s degree and three years experience in higher education financial aid with emphasis related to student constituents and/or governmental accounting experience (or equivalent combination of education and experience).
For more information please write to email@example.com