The Office of Equity and Inclusion was founded to support the recruitment, retention, and holistic success of all students, with an emphasis on students of color and other underrepresented student populations on campus. We seek to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion campus-wide.
African Adinkra Symbol, “Within diversity, there is Unity”
The Office of Equity and Inclusion strives to foster a sense of belonging for all community members by cultivating a more diverse, inclusive and equitable campus community.
We are located in Suite 200 of the Administration Building.
Programs and Services
The Allies program consists of a visible network of faculty and staff who provide empathy, acceptance, support and resources for NUNM’s community members. NUNM Allies believe that our campus is enriched by the diversity of its community members and are willing to assist individuals in accessing support, information and resources in a mutually respectful and safe space.
The mission of AWARE (Actively Working to Advance Real Equity) is to create a culture of inclusion at NUNM, guide the effective recruitment and retention of diverse faculty, students and staff, and to promote excellence in natural medicine by providing culturally and linguistically appropriate education and health care.
Goal of AWARE: Create an environment at NUNM that is genuinely welcoming to all community members, with an emphasis on preparing students to work with the diversity they will encounter in all their professional activities.
Finding Local Community
Building community and social support outside of NUNM can help with a sense of support and actually aid in being more successful. These resources and links are not sponsored by NUNM and NUNM is not liability for quality or accuracy of events
Cultural Diversity Resources
School of Gender, Race, and Nations at Portland State University
Includes Black, Chicano, Queer, and Women’s Studies departments and resources events. Visit the school’s website.
Culture- and Ethnicity-Specific Community Resources and Events
- Oregon & Washington Asian organizations, associations, and churches
- Multnomah County Community Resources Database
- Oregon DHS Directory of Community Resources. Cultural organizations statewide and by county (NUNM is in Multnomah county)
- Portland State University Institute for Asian Studies
Specific Local Organizations
- City of Portland Community Center Directory – by Neighborhood
- In Other Words Feminist Community Center (and famous bookstore) Events Calendar
- Portland State University Multicultural Center Events Calendar
- Q Center- LGBTQ Community Center and Resources Events Calendar
- Portland Front Runners– LGBTQ Running Group
- Portland’s Gay Yellow Pages
- Portland PLFAG- Central Portland, East Portland, and Black Chapters
- Q Center- Portland LGBTQ Resources Directory
- Sexual Minority Provider Alliance– LGBTQ mental health database
Religious and Spiritual Communities
- Directory of Portland Religious and Spiritual Centers (Includes most major religious affiliations)
- Directory of LGBTQ Affirming/Welcoming Religious & Spirituality Resources
- Meditation Groups and Resources
- Retreat Centers of Oregon