The President of NUNM
- Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
- Hours: Full time
- Department: Administration
- Closing Date: Open until filled
The President is the Chief Executive Officer of NUNM, is the sole employee of the Board of Directors, an ex-officio member of the NUNM Board of Directors, and is the delegated representative of the Board, charged by the Board with the supervision, management and direction of the affairs of NUNM. The President performs the following duties personally or through subordinates with care, compassion and respect for all.
To learn more about this position please visit our Presidential Search page.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The president is directly responsible to the Board of Directors, and as such: attends and takes part fully in all Board and Board committee meetings; provides the Board with adequate information to enable it to make sound policies and decisions; implements Board policies and directives; assists the Board to prepare long-range plans, develops short-range goals for NUNM; reports regularly to the Board on progress made toward goals and objectives, financial matters and other issues of Board concern.
The president has overall responsibility in the hiring and discharge of all faculty and staff. Ensures that all employees are appropriately supervised, evaluated, disciplined and recognized; directs and supervises NUNM’s senior management team in their assignments and responsibilities; directs all other staff and faculty through senior management team members; and, makes and enforces rules, policies and regulations (not in conflict with law or Board policy) for NUNM.
The president is responsible for the day-to-day operation of NUNM; oversees the physical plant; manages NUNM’s purchases and expenditures within the limits of Board-approved budgets and keeps the Board appropriately informed of day-to-day financial decisions.
The president directs the preparation of the annual budget and submits such to the Board for Board review, approval and appropriate action.
The president works to enhance the academic reputation of NUNM by maintaining a high quality of faculty and contemporary professional curriculum, and maintaining standards sufficient to qualify NUNM for acceptance by appropriate accrediting bodies.
The president actively designs and leads advancement, fund raising, and development goals to enhance the financial condition of NUNM and its institutional reputation among the professions served, the higher education community, and the municipality and state within which NUNM operates.
The president serves as primary spokesperson for NUNM; promotes good public relations inter-professionally, inter-institutionally, and among regional, state and federal agencies and partners. The President is also the primary spokesperson for the community. The President actively promulgates the mission of NUNM; represents NUNM as its Chief Executive Officer in all dealings with other organizations, individuals and the general public.
The presidential position requires an innovative leader who is also an excellent communicator and a strategic thinker. Our president must be a person of stature in the higher education community or another field related to natural medicine, ready to lead NUNM as it enhances its ability to be a national leader in natural medicine education and training.
- An earned doctorate, terminal degree or extraordinary accomplishments in a field relevant to the mission of NUNM.
- Documented success as a fundraiser.
- A history of ensuring an excellent student experience through student life and learning and professional practice.
- Senior leadership in a complex organization and experience in helping constituents deliberate and achieve strategic consensus.
- A proven ability to work collaboratively with shared governance.
- Demonstrated excellence in resource management and development.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a range of external constituents including alumni, donors, the media and leaders in both the private and public sectors.
- Experience with collaborating with other educational institutions for mutual benefit and the advancement of the natural medicine professions.
- A track record of bringing diverse voices to the table and creating a culture of equity and inclusion.
- Proven ability to deal with difficult situations and to consult with and then communicate those decisions effectively to members of the campus community and the broader community.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Commitment to the highest degree of professional ethics and ethical leadership.
- Deep commitment to the mission of NUNM.
- An understanding of the important academic and business issues that all institutions, including NUNM, will face in the coming years and evidence of the ability to develop workable responses to the changing environment that shapes higher education.
- Evidence of the capacity to learn well from others, to listen thoughtfully, to communicate clearly and convincingly and to connect with, inspire and recruit faculty staff, and students as well as individuals from all walks of life in the broader community.