Medical Lab Technologist
- Salary Range: $18.74 - $22.01 per hour
- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Department: NUNM Lab
- Closing Date: Open until filled
Conducts chemical and physical laboratory tests of human specimens, analyzes test data, performs associated clerical and quality assurance duties, and educates medical students and medical staff in laboratory procedures and clinical correlation. Troubleshoot problems with results, specimens, or instruments and evaluate and implement new test procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collect, process, and test patient specimens in a safe and accurate manner according to laboratory policies and procedures, supervisor instructions and local, state or federal regulations; report and maintain records of patient test results.
- Coordinate and work with other laboratory staff, clinic and university staff and administration to improve service of the laboratory and further the mission of the university.
- Maintain records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient samples.
- Set up, calibrate and operate laboratory diagnostic equipment and instruments; perform appropriate quality control, quality assurance, maintenance and proficiency testing procedures according to accepted guidelines.
- Follow the laboratory’s established corrective action policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory’s established acceptable levels of performance; document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
- Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either correct the problems or immediately notify the director.
- Respond to all customer service situations with a positive, friendly, professional demeanor; work creatively to solve problems, prioritize duties, and maintain a healthy working atmosphere so that productivity and positive employee relations are maximized.
- Manage and document customer complaints in compliance with applicable policies and procedures.
- Direct laboratory technicians and assistants.
- Answer phone inquiries from providers, patients, and students; check and return messages in a timely manner; and direct questions to appropriate contacts i.e. technical, billing, shipping, or general, etc.
- Manage patient results in all relevant systems, including Epic and LogBook, and assure providers receive results within a timely manner.
- Report and fully document positive test results indicating communicable diseases to the appropriate County or State Health Department according to State Health Department guidelines and document any communicable disease report; Report all panic values to ordering physician and/or clinical representative (such as NHC CMO, NHC Lab Director or Director of Community Health Centers).
- Provide consultation and assistance to students and providers regarding test ordering, results and interpretation; carry out research for and with students and doctors regarding complex testing.
- Act as liaison to reference labs and maintain current information regarding test kits, procedures, patient instructions, specimen requirements and price.
- Ensure the work area is kept clean, safe and orderly; adhere to established policies and procedures pertaining to safety and accident prevention; comply with all OSHA guidelines.
- Maintain strict patient confidentiality and comply with all HIPPA guidelines.
- Uphold appropriate professional behavior at all times including reporting to work as scheduled and on time and following required dress code.
- Coordinate and work with other laboratory staff, clinic and university staff and administration to improve the service of the laboratory and further the mission and goals of the University.
- Attend laboratory staff meetings and/or training as required.
- Work Saturdays and evenings as needed.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
Bachelor’s degree in chemical, physical or biological science; completion of accredited MLS/MT program strongly preferred; and three years minimum experience in Medical Laboratory field.
Phlebotomy experience required.
Word, Excel and, database skills required. Experienced with EMR and LIS strongly preferred.