SIBO Center Laboratory Technician
- Salary Range: $16.73 - $19.65 per hour
- Hours: On Call
- Department: NUNM Health Centers
- Closing Date: Open until filled
Conducts chemical and physical laboratory tests of human specimens, performs associated clerical duties, and assists with educating medical students in laboratory procedures associated with the SIBO Center.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Collect, process and test patient specimens in a safe and accurate manner according to laboratory policies and procedures, supervisor instructions and local, state or federal regulations; report and maintain records of patient test results.
• Coordinate and work with other laboratory staff, clinic and college staff and administration to improve service of the laboratory and further the mission of the college.
• Set up, calibrate and operate SIBO diagnostic equipment and instruments; perform appropriate quality control, quality assurance, maintenance and proficiency testing procedures according to accepted guidelines.
• Follow the laboratory’s established corrective action policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory’s established acceptable levels of performance; document all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory’s established performance specifications.
• Be capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either correct the problems or immediately notify the director.
• Manage patient results in all relevant systems, including Epic and LogBook, and assure providers receive results within a timely manner.
• Act as liaison to clinics using the SIBO Center and maintain current information regarding test kits, procedures, patient instructions and specimen requirements and price.
• Respond to all customer service situations with a positive, friendly, professional demeanor; work creatively to solve problems, prioritize duties, and maintain a healthy working atmosphere so that productivity and positive employee relations are maximized.
• Refer customer complaints/problems to the laboratory designee in a timely fashion.
• Answer phone inquiries from providers, patients, and students; check and return messages in a timely manner; and direct questions to appropriate contacts i.e. technical, billing, shipping, or general, etc.
• Assist with processing orders for kits to patients/providers in a timely manner including data entry, stuffing kits with proper marketing material, and creating shipping/return labels. Assist processing returned kits in a timely manner including opening kits, entering in-process data into LogBook, and organizing kits to be tested.
• Monitor and stock SIBO laboratory supplies.
• Ensure the work area is kept clean, safe and orderly; adhere to established policies and procedures pertaining to safety and accident prevention; comply with all OSHA guidelines.
• Maintain strict patient confidentiality and comply with all HIPPA guidelines.
• Uphold appropriate professional behavior at all times including reporting to work as scheduled and on time and following required dress code.
• Coordinate and work with other laboratory staff, clinic and college staff and administration to improve the service of the SIBO laboratory and further the mission and goals of the College.
• Attend SIBO staff meetings and/or training as required.
• Work Saturdays and evenings as needed.
Associates degree and minimally 2 year of experience in the laboratory field required.
Word, Excel, and database skills required. Experience with EMR and LIS strongly preferred.
Certification as a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) from an accredited program strongly preferred.