Medical Records and Referrals Assistant
- Salary Range: $15.00 - $17.55 per hour
- Hours: 20 hours per week
- Department: NUNM Health Centers
- Closing Date: Open until filled
Responsible for daily activities and work under the direction of the Operations Assistant Manager, Medical Records Coordinator, and Referral Coordinator by retrieving, filing, auditing, processing Electronic Health Records (EHR), maintaining all clinic patient files in accordance with HIPAA, HHPS and other state and federal regulations and processing all authorizations for acupuncture and other referral support within the NUNM Health Centers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure accurate and timely follow-up to questions, retrieving of charts and processing medical records requests for patients, students, staff, and faculty and protect the privacy and limits the access of patient medical records.
- Ensure that outside Medical Records, Labs both internal and outside, Epic Downtime records and all Epic Community Clinic records and consents are scanned, indexed and committed.
- Process all clinic medical requests by ensuring patient authorization for release of records and patient confidentiality.
- Assist in stocking of all forms managed or distributed by Medical Records.
- Assist the Medical Records Coordinator in maintaining charts and ensuring chart notes, lab reports etc. are filed in the correct location of the EMR.
- When the Medical Records Coordinator is away from the Medical Records office, the Medical Records Assistant will assume the tasks that the Medical Records Coordinator is responsible for, including Epic Care Everywhere and My Chart.
- Act as frontline resource for staff, faculty, students and volunteers for obtaining information on medical records policies and standards concerning charting and general health information management and refer to supervisor as appropriate.
- Attend HIPAA trainings as required by the HIPAA Compliance Officer.
- Assist the Medical Records Coordinator in developing, updating and maintaining a current Medical Records Policy and Procedure Manual for reference and ensure all clinical staff, doctors and work-study employees are updated on all applicable changes as needed.
- Attend all required Epic Trainings to ensure the most current applications and functions are used.
High school diploma and (2) years of additional training in the job’s related field and one (1) year of medical records experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Trainings in State and Federal laws and HIPAA regulations regarding patient confidentiality and medical record maintenance required, as directed by the Clinic Services Manager. Certification in HIPAA on an annual basis is required. Six (6) months experience in Electronic Health Record required; Epic experience is preferred.
Experience coordinating medical referrals preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must be detail oriented, tactful and professional to resolve disputes, multi-task, work well under pressure and have ability to spot check for chart errors. Knowledge of Windows applications, photocopier, and facsimile. Ability to climb a portable ladder, reach, bend, type 40 words per minute and work in a fast paced, non-structured environment with minimal supervision.
Experience in Epic EHR preferred.