Department Administrator - Helfgott Research Institute
- Salary Range: $30 per hour
- Hours: 20 hours per week
- Department: Helfgott Research Institute
- Closing Date: Open until filled
This position is responsible for the financial and day-to-day administrative operations of the Helfgott Research Institute. Creates and manages grant and project budgets to ensure fiscal accountability and compliance with internal and external standards and requirements. Creates and implements policies and procedures in concert with the Director. Administrates NIH and foundation grants (pre- and post-award submissions and progress reports), contracts and consultation agreements in concert with the Director and project PIs. Maintains Helfgott Research Institute relationships with external funding bodies and organizations including NIH.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Pre-Award Grant/Contract Administration:
- Oversee the initiation and submission of grant applications.
- Create grant budgets (in concert with project Investigators).
- Assist in writing and editing grant application documents (in concert with project Investigators).
- Draft and distribute letters of support (in concert with project Investigators).
- Ensure that grant applications meet federal guidelines or those of the funding body.
- Act as the “Signing Official” for electronic grant applications to the NIH and other government agencies.
- Act as the primary contact for business and administrative issues at collaborating institutions and organizations.
- Develop contracts and sub-awards for collaborations in which NUNM is the parent of the grant.
- Coordinate the negotiations of contractual and budgetary language for incoming contracts and sub-awards in which NUNM is named as the collaborator.
- Ensure institutional, departmental, and Principal Investigator records are current and accurate with federal organizations (e.g., System for Award Management, Grants.gov and eRACommons).
Post-Award Grant/Contract Administration:
- Invoice collaborators based on contractual agreements.
- Write contracts for research investigators.
- Perform project budget audits and create budget projections.
- Develop grant award progress and final reports.
- Ensure that funders meet contractual obligations.
Financial and Contractual Responsibilities:
- Develop, control and manage grant and project budgets.
- Manage expenditures and oversee the issuance, recording and filing of all invoices and receipts.
- Conduct monthly reconciliation of the departmental credit card.
- Act as the primary business contact for federal governmental agencies, including National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services and others.
- Act as the primary business contact for collaborating institutions.
- Maintain budget records to reconcile with the business office’s general ledgers.
- Provide financial records for and act as the point of contact for NUNM’s auditors.
- In collaboration with the CFO, calculate and renegotiate the institutional indirect rate.
- Administrate research resources including REDCap, ClinicalTrials.gov and CITI Program trainings.
- Collect, maintain archives and develop quarterly Institute portfolios of research publications and presentations.
- Update and maintain the research pages of the NUNM website.
- Collaborate with researchers and other departments in Helfgott Research Institute and NUNM marketing.
Policy and Compliance:
- Oversee federal requirements for responsible conduct of research, human subjects, and other required training.
- Ensure that research trainings meet Department of Health and Human Services requirements.
- Manage insurance requirements for clinical research studies, including on and off-site studies.
- Work with faculty and staff to manage scientific integrity documents and manage research compliance issues.
- Develop and revise policies and procedures in compliance with both national standards and Department of Health and Human Services requirements.
- Develop and revise policies and procedures to meet the needs of the department.
- Pursue professional development including conferences, workshops, and other opportunities to remain current with required policies and procedures, especially with regards to grant management, research financial management and research communication.
- Serve the University on various committees, task forces, and other bodies as needed or assigned.
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Three years of administration, research and/or higher education experience preferably including contracts, accreditation, policy development, accounting or an equivalent combination of education and experience. NIH grants management experience is required. The position requires excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills. Sensitivity to and humility regarding diverse cultures and individuals is expected.
Must have exceptional organizational skills and excellent typing skills (type at least 60wpm). Requires excellent computer skills with specific knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and database programs. Experience with the following is preferred: eRACommons, REDCap, reference management software, Wordpress, SONIS and/or Moodle.