Health Centers Front Desk Coordinator
- Salary Range: $18.00 -$21.00 per hour
- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Department: Lair Hill Health Center
- Closing Date: Open until filled
The Health Centers Front Desk Coordinator will require an ability to organize and coordinate the duties of and delegate responsibilities to Patient Services Representatives and be responsible for providing excellent customer service and support for all Health Center operations in a professional manner and provide support for doctors, practitioners and students regarding patient care including: patient check-in, appointment scheduling, cashiering, phone reception, medical records and insurance verification. This position is responsible for front desk scheduling and for the coordination and oversight of new hire training.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Front Desk Coordination:
- Coordinate, implement and oversee new Patient Service Representative (PSR) hire onboarding and training. Participate in the vetting of new (PSR) hires.
- Troubleshoot Front Desk Challenges with Director of Operations and VP of Health Centers.
- Create and Maintain Front Desk staff schedule on a bi-weekly basis and daily staff break schedules.
- Trains in all departments of patient services including Medical Records, Referrals, and Ops in order to learn and cover all aspects of patient services at the Lair Hill Health Center.
- Ability to step into any patient services role in the event of employee absence and/or for short-term assignment as per the needs of the Lair Hill Health Center.
Front Desk Support:
- Maintain a clean, safe and professional atmosphere throughout the Health Center in a manner that is consistent with the mission of the University.
- Provide direct support for doctors, practitioners, and students regarding clinical education and patient care.
- Relays important information, communication and resources in a timely manner to physicians, students, billing department, Medicinary and lab regarding scheduling information, Health Center business, medical records and a wide variety of other necessities of daily Health Center operations.
- Manage daily work flow as directed by the Director of Operations, including, but not limited to; ensuring protocols for Health Center Services are adhered to by all staff to maintain highest level of quality and patient care.
- Provide patient check-in services and ensure that the patient demographics have been entered into the EMR and that patients’ Personal Health Information are available for medical staff at time of the patient’s appointment.
- Schedule appointments for new and returning patients to the Health Center via telephone or in person in cooperation with Epic scheduling software and a variety of other informational resources.
- Maintains high level knowledge of and ability to apply federal HIPAA regulations in relation to all patient management and Health Center support.
- Maintain high level knowledge of and ability to apply state OSHA regulations in relation to Health Center support duties.
- Communicate a basic understanding of natural medicine and assist patients with their needs and preferences with Health Center services.
- Provide detailed information to patients regarding natural medicine (naturopathy, classical Chinese medicine, hydrotherapy, massage and bodywork), laboratory services, medicinary offerings and support to patients, students, doctors and practitioners by answering questions and directing individuals to appropriate staff.
- Ability to answer a high call volume efficiently in order to screen and route calls in an accurate, timely and professional manner.
- Responsible for regular retrieval and prompt return of calls forwarded to the voice mail system throughout the work shift to ensure quality customer service.
- Responsible for nightly facility closing procedures that include: locking the safe and all personal health information, assuring the following day’s schedule is printed and locked.
- Provide patient cashiering services by calculating, collecting and processing payments for all services rendered at the Health Center that includes all nightly cashier procedures in the preparation and reconciliation of deposits, daily End of Day reports, preparation of the Health Center Billing Box and the cash and check deposits.
- Assist patients by explaining billing policies and directing patients that want to make a request for an ROA (receipts on account for due balances) to the Health Center Billing Department. Attend all trainings as required by the Health Center and NUNM.
Medical Records Support:
- Direct any clinical medical records requests to the Medical Record personnel.
- Provide support to patients, students, doctors and practitioners by answering questions, directing them to medical records personnel if applicable.
- Ensure any medical records requests are placed in the medical records department in-box.
Health Center Billing Support:
- Obtain accurate insurance and payment information and all relative documentation from patients at the time of appointment scheduling or check out.
- Maintains current working knowledge of contracted insurance providers as well as financial policies to provide precise information to both staff and patients.
- Strong understanding of referral workflows and processes to ensure proper scheduling parameters for appointments requiring specialized insurance authorization.
- Compute a complex discount structure to a diverse patient population including but not limited to Veterans, Honored Citizens, Federal Employees, income restricted and specialty service patients.
- Responsible for supplying insurance and patient information to the billing department to ensure an effective and timely accounts receivable process.
- Provide patients with information on the Compassionate Care Policy information as needed and/or direct patients to the proper channels.
Associate’s degree from two-year college or technical school required, Health Care field preferred. Combination of education and equivalent experience considered.
- Minimum of 3 years patient customer service experience required.
- Ability to handle a high volume of patient flow with comfort and confidence in multiple provider office.
- Bilingual in Spanish/English preferred.
- Experience with Epic EHR preferred.
- Trauma-Informed Care experience preferred
- Knowledge of ICD-10 and CPT codes for the purpose of authorizations.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology and procedures.
- Medical office experience with referral/authorization processing for OHP/Medicaid.
- Ability to write simple professional correspondence required.
- Basic skills using MS office suite.
- Knowledge of public payer programs, insurance plans and their guidelines.
- Ability to be alert and respond to urgent/emergency situations, including emotional situations by notifying appropriate supervisory personnel or if possible, correct and then report and situations which result in patient discomfort.
- Ability to multi task in a calm, positive and professional demeanor in a fast paced office environment.
- Ability to use and answer a multi-line phone system efficiently and screen and route calls in an accurate, timely and professional manner.
- Must be able to work flexible work hours that include weekends and evening hours and attend required trainings and meetings.
- Must possess strong interpersonal communication skills, conflict resolution and professional diplomacy when interacting with doctors, Health Center supervisors, students, patients and co-workers.
- Must be detailed oriented as well as maintain a broad awareness.
- Knowledge of Window applications and accurate data entry skills.
- Ability to learn / utilize the Health Center’s scheduling software.
- Have working knowledge of office machines that include 10-key, cash register, credit card / debit machines, photocopier, facsimile and postage meter.
- Familiarity with basic accounting concepts. Strong cash handling skills to include: balancing cash drawer, accurate charge of services, preparing nightly deposits and daily cash reports, and counting back change to customers.
- Knowledge of HIPAA and medical records maintenance.
- Proficient filing skills and accuracy in alphabetizing chart.
This in-person position will be based at our campus in Portland, Oregon.