Medical Lab Technician
- Salary Range: $23.00 - $24.00 per hour
- Hours: 30 hours per week
- Department: NUNM Lab
- Closing Date: Open until filled
The Medical Laboratory Technician conducts chemical and physical laboratory tests of human specimens, performs associated clerical duties, and assists with educating medical students in laboratory procedures.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collect, process, and test patient specimens in a safe and accurate manner according to accepted guidelines, including federal and state regulations, OSHA guidelines, laboratory policies and supervisor’s instructions.
- Follow the laboratory’s procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results.
- Follow the laboratory’s established action policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within laboratory’s established acceptable levels of performance.
- Manage patient results in all relevant systems, including Epic and Log Book, and assure providers receive results in a timely manner.
- Report all panic values to ordering physician and/or clinical representative (such as NHC CMO, NHC Lab Director or Community Clinic Coordinator).
- Answer phone inquiries from doctors, patients and potential patients regarding laboratory services, test availability, specimen requirements and price.
- Respond to all customer service situations with a positive, friendly, professional demeanor. Work creatively to solve problems, prioritize duties, and maintain a healthy working atmosphere so that productivity and positive employee relations are maximized.
- Assist with monitoring and stocking laboratory supplies including test kits for reference labs.
- Coordinate and work with other laboratory staff, clinic and college staff and administration to improve the services of the laboratory and further the mission and goals of the College.
- Perform associated clerical and administrative duties according to policies and procedures and accepted local, state and federal guidelines.
- Refer customer complaints/problems to the laboratory designee in a timely fashion.
- Uphold appropriate professional behavior at all times including reporting to work as scheduled and on time and following the required dress code.
- Ensure the work area is kept clean, safe and orderly; adhere to established policies and procedures pertaining to safety and accident prevention; comply with all OSHA guidelines.
- Maintain strict patient confidentiality and comply with all HIPAA guidelines.
- Attend laboratory staff meetings and/or training as required.
- Work Saturdays and evenings as needed.
Associates degree and minimally 2 year of experience in the laboratory field required. Phlebotomy experience required
Word, Excel, and database skills required. Experience with EMR and LIS strongly preferred.
Certification as a Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) from an accredited program strongly preferred.
PAY AND BENEFITS
- $23-$24/hr Base Salary
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Dental insurance
- Medical insurance
- Health savings and flexible spending accounts
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Life insurance
- Tuition assistance
This in-person position will be based at our campus in Portland, Oregon.