Patient Services Representative
- Salary Range: 19.25 per hour
- Hours: 20-40 hours per week
- Department: NUNM Health Centers
- Closing Date: Open till filled
If you are interested in applying for this position please create an account to get started. Those who already have an account may log in.
Provides excellent customer service and phone support for busy medical center. Responsibilities include medical appointment scheduling, patient registration, insurance data entry, patient check-in, cashiering, phone reception, and navigation of a complex scheduling system that encompasses over 40 medical providers and 200 medical students. Provides information about health center departments and services to patients, students, faculty, staff, and to the general public. Provides coverage for front desk and call center. Must be available to cover opening and closing shifts as assigned (opening shifts may start as early as 7:15am, and closing shifts may end as late as 6:30pm).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides customer service and information to the public regarding campus and clinic departments. Accesses information efficiently using multiple database systems and other communication tools to provide a wide variety of information.
- Provides check-in services by promptly greeting patients as they arrive to the health center. Follows registration procedures and accurately enters patient demographics, insurance information, and consents into Epic system.
- Explains complex insurance and payment policies to a diverse population that includes students, staff, faculty, income-restricted patients, and patients with a broad spectrum of medical conditions.
- Screens patients for communicable disease. Screens patients for elapsed demographics. Screens patients for insurance preferences, insurance authorization notes, referral notes, and other special scheduling instructions.
- Helps new patients determine whether they have Medicaid coverage. Provides basic information about contracted insurance plans. Sends insurance benefit requests to the Billing Department.
- Provides cashiering services by calculating, collecting, and processing payments for medical and lab appointments. Ensures that payments collected are accurately entered into Epic system.
- Provides scheduling for a broad range of services, including acupuncture, naturopathy, primary care, reproductive health, physical medicine, minor surgery, IV therapy, laboratory tests, hydrotherapy, homeopathy, nutrition, and vaccines.
- Schedules medical appointments for new and returning patients via telephone or in person using the Epic system. Continually learns and follows complex system of scheduling policies and procedures.
- Performs scheduling audits, corrects errors, and provides written feedback to coworkers regarding errors.
- Notifies patients regarding scheduling changes, including cancellations due to student/provider leave requests.
- First contact for urgent situations and for confrontations that occur in parking lot or waiting room. First contact for patient complaints, comments, and feedback. Utilizes excellent listening and problem-solving skills and calls for Security or for emergency assistance when needed. Notifies management or provides incident reports to management when not present.
- First contact and primary representative for the campus and health centers. Effectively answers, screens, and routes calls using a multiple line system. Handles phone calls in a professional, courteous, and calm manner. Utilizes excellent listening and problem-solving skills in order to interpret the needs of the caller. Directs callers to appropriate extensions.
- Promptly retrieves voice mail messages and returns calls throughout the work shift.
- Nightly closing duties include settlement of credit card machines and preparation of deposits and reports, including appointment reports, cash tally, reconciliation reports, end-of-day reports, no-show reports, and non-payment reports.
- Demonstrates a commitment to quality service. Works well as a team member and on independent projects as requested. Demonstrates excellent interpersonal communication skills while interfacing with all levels of the organization.
Three or more years of medical office experience OR customer service experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Electronic health records or EPIC experience preferred. Associates degree preferred.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be available to cover opening and closing shifts as assigned.
- Ability to attend required trainings and meetings.
- Ability to handle a high volume of calls with confidence.
- Ability to use and answer multi-line phones efficiently.
- Ability to screen and route calls in an accurate, timely, and professional manner.
- Ability to respond to emotional situations promptly and professionally.
- Ability to be calm and supportive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to quickly learn and adapt to procedural changes.
- Ability to quickly learn and utilize clinic scheduling software.
- Must possess strong data entry and typing skills.
- Must possess strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Must possess excellent listening and problem-solving skills.
- Must possess an ability to exercise discretion, tact, and courtesy.
- Demonstrated track record of confidentiality and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated track record as a collaborative team player.
- Demonstrated commitment to quality service.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
PAY AND BENEFITS
- $19.25 an hour Base Wage
- Retirement Savings Plan
- Dental insurance
- Medical insurance
- Health savings and flexible spending accounts
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Life insurance
- Tuition assistance
This in-person position will be based at our campus in Portland, Oregon.