Adjunct Faculty - Nutrition for Exercise and Sports
- Salary Range: Approx. $1040 per credit
- Department: School of Undergraduate Studies
- Closing Date: 02/15/2018
NUNM’s School of Undergraduate Studies is seeking an adjunct academic faculty member to develop and teach the Nutrition for Exercise and Sports elective course.
Adjunct faculty members perform instructional duties and responsibilities in accordance with the philosophy, mission, policies, and procedures of the University and appropriate to the individual assignment. The relationship of the faculty member to the student is one of teacher, mentor and facilitator of learning.
Course Name: Nutrition for Exercise and Sports
Term: Spring 2018 (Course is held 4/9/2018-6/30/2018; course development before then)
Course Credits: 3
NOTE: This is a face to face course at the NUNM campus in Portland, Oregon
This course investigates the basic, scientific, and applied concepts of nutrition and substrate utilization as they apply to energy production for exercise, body composition, weight control and thermoregulation. Emphasis is given to analyzing nutritional requirements for enhanced exercise and sport performance.
Outcomes. At the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify and interpret sound resources for science-based sports nutrition research
- Assess an athlete’s energy and fuel needs based on an understanding of metabolism and related physiology
- Discuss the science behind the variations in macronutrient and micronutrient guidelines for athletes in the various states of training, competition and recovery
- Explain the scientific principles associated with sports nutrition as it pertains to hydration and thermoregulation
- Evaluate current science-based recommendations for vitamin/mineral supplements and ergogenic aids used within the sports nutrition plans of athletes
Applicants must have education, experience, skill and knowledge in the area they will be teaching. Master’s degree required, doctoral degree preferred. This is a face to face course so the applicant must live in our within commuting distance to Portland, Oregon, USA.
For more information please write to email@example.com