Dean of Graduate Studies
- Salary Range: Base salary of $85,000 - $90,000 per year.
- Hours: 40 hours per week
- Department: School of Graduate Studies
- Closing Date: Open until filled
This position is responsible for all facets of the development, implementation, and delivery of NUNM’s on-campus and online graduate degree programs, within the School of Graduate Studies.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead the faculty to ensure that curriculum content and andragogy are of appropriate quality in providing students with a clear and learner-centered path to earn degrees within the School of Research and Graduate Studies.
- Regularly assess the effectiveness and accuracy of the curriculum and ensure that the data obtained inform continuous curricular improvement, including content, methodology and evaluation.
- Recommend and assure appropriate use of on-campus and online educational technology to support and enhance student learning.
- Act as sponsor for any new program proposals initiated from the School of Graduate Studies, guiding development of the proposal and following the URAP vetting process.
- Lead the faculty of the School of Graduate Studies in the development and implementation of competencies that drive the content and delivery of on-campus and online education Collaborate with the deans of undergraduate & part-time studies, classical Chinese medicine, and naturopathic medicine to ensure appropriate sequencing of coursework within the concurrent tracks and appropriate delivery of education to concurrent track students.
- Work with the registrar to develop and schedule all graduate program tracks, including dual degree tracks.
- Ensure the ongoing review and, as needed, modification to prerequisite standards and technical standards for the degree and certificate programs of the school of graduate studies.
- Work closely with the Office of Human Resources to describe and propose in a timely, budget-cycle-sensitive context new faculty positions as needed.
- Work with the human resources office with hiring new faculty to fill authorized positions following the completion of a search process conducted according to College policy.
- Hire program chair to develop curriculum for each new, approved, graduate degree program within the School of Graduate Studies.
- Regularly evaluate the performance of all full-time and part-time faculty in the School of Graduate Studies to established expectations in teaching, scholarship, and service. Submit evaluations to the Office of Human Resources in a timely manner.
- Review faculty in the School of Graduate Studies for continuing employment based on individual performance and program needs based on human resources policies and procedures and ensure the appropriate input of the faculty peers, students, and other members of the NUNM community into the faculty evaluation process.
- Mentor and advise faculty in the School of Graduate Studies relative to goal setting and development of professional excellence in both content and andragogy and support these same faculty in the development of portfolios.
- Administer School of Graduate Studies faculty assignments to assure excellence in curriculum delivery and equitable faculty workloads.
- Work with other offices to ensure appropriate administration of all aspects of convening academic review and appeals committee.
- Work with the Human Resources Office and other appropriate University staff to ensure vacation scheduling, sick leave, and substitute coverage for academic faculty.
- Prepare in a timely fashion individual School of Graduate Studies faculty contracts per college policy and practice.
- Ensure that all activities of the school of graduate studies and its faculty are consistent with the University’s strategic plan and vision and support the University’s mission.
- Work with the AVP of Institutional Excellence to ensure that the programs, faculty, and all of the activities of the school of graduate studies are in compliance with the standards of the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities and all other pertinent accrediting bodies.
- Work with the AVP of Institutional Excellence to ensure the timely and thorough completion of all self-studies, annual reports, special reports, and other documents required by accrediting bodies.
Institutional Role Duties:
- Work with the other program deans and the provost in the development of joint curricula that fosters the delivery and sustainability of innovative, effective, and interprofessional integrated medicine education. Work with provost, the chair of the faculty development committee, the deans, and human resources in the development and implementation of a faculty development plan that fosters development of an academic career path for faculty.
- Serve as chief advisor to the Provost with regard to all matters related to the education of all programs and certificates overseen by the dean.
- Direct strategic short- and long-term planning for the school of graduate studies and participate in the institutional planning process.
- Implement, monitor, and report on progress relative to a strategic plan for the school of graduate studies which is in alignment with the University’s strategic plan and supportive of the mission and vision of the University.
- Support the activities of the Department of Admissions in recruiting students to the school of graduate studies and other programs of the University. Participate in admissions interviews of potential students.
- Support the mission, vision, and values of the University in all respects.
Students Duties :
- Work with the AVP of student life, registrar and other appropriate NUNM employees to ensure the satisfactory academic progress of students.
- Ensure timely communication to students of programmatic changes and address student concerns.
- Create an invitational atmosphere for student input into change processes.
- Ensure the necessary steps in the process of addressing academic concerns and needs of students.
- Serve as the point of contact for students with academic concerns and needs and make referrals as appropriate.
Administrative Commitment Duties:
- The dean of graduate studies serves in a full-time position, exempt from the overtime provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
- This position is required to participate in College activities during evening and weekend hours and must be available to travel out of town to attend various approved events and meetings as needed.
Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
Doctorate (PhD, EdD, ND, MD, etc.) degree from an accredited college. A minimum of five (5) years of experience in the higher education setting in an administrative role at the level of department chair, director, or assistant or associate dean level. A minimum of one year supervising employees.
For more information please write to firstname.lastname@example.org