The White Coat Ceremony was established in 1993 by Dr. Arthur Gold at Columbia University, as a way to signify the importance of the white coat as a mantle of medical professions, and a reminder to students to always be compassionate in their work with patients.
The first White Coat Ceremony was held at NUNM in 2013, to signify the transition for students from hydrotherapy technician to secondary intern. Beginning in 2016, the White Coat Ceremony was moved to the end of new student orientation, as students now begin their clinical observations in year one.
5th Annual White Coat Ceremony
September 15, 2017, 3:00 p.m.
NUNM, 049 SW Porter St., Bill Mitchell Hall – Third Floor, Room 310
Map and Directions
Reception to follow
NMS-1’s (First year students)
White Coat Order and RSVP Deadline
Students should order NUNM white coats, name tags, and RSVP for the ceremony no later than August 3, 2017. The site contains size charts for coats, but you may also try on a white coat at the NUNM student store (1st floor, north wing of the main academic building) before ordering. Students may not use non-NUNM-logo lab coats in the clinic.
White Coat Pick Up
You may pick up your white coats in the NUNM student store the week of September 11, between 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday-Friday.
Student Professional Attire for the White Coat Ceremony
- Professional attire is required.
- The most common forms of attire are shirt and tie, dress, suit without a jacket (it won’t fit under your white coat) or a blouse with a skirt or slacks. If you are not sure of what to wear, attending in business casual attire would be appropriate.
- Please refrain from casual attire. Please do not wear jeans, sneakers, t-shirts, tank tops, shorts, or any other casual clothing. Flip flops should not be worn.
- This ritual is held in the presence of faculty, administration, and family members and is considered a rite of passage. Therefore, it is important to dress properly for this occasion as it is a very special day for those being honored
The day of the ceremony, meet at 2:15 p.m. in Room 301 to receive your ceremony line-up and instructions.
Family and Friends
Please arrive no earlier than 2:15 p.m., as Mitchell Hall will be in use until that time.
Families and friends are welcome to park in the following lots (no visitor passes required that day).
- Non-numbered spaces in the West and East lots of the Academic Building (049 SW Porter St.), entrances on SW Porter St.
- NUNM Health Centers parking lot, across from the Academic Building, entrance on SW Porter St.
- The lot at Water Ave/Ross Island Bridge exit, south of the red house), entrance on Water Ave.
- The lot on the corner of SW Meade St and SW Naito Pkwy, across from Galen’s Way Garden, north of the Administration Building. Entrance on SW Meade St.
- You may also park on the street for up to two hours.
For questions, please contact Associate Dean Carrie Baldwin-Sayre at firstname.lastname@example.org or 503.552.1860.