Undergraduate Nutrition Capstone Projects

The NUNM undergraduate capstone is a multifaceted assignment that serves as a culminating academic and intellectual experience, serving as a representation of the student’s journey through the Bachelor of Science in Nutrition program at NUNM. Students pursue a self-directed project or inquiry of their choice, thus providing an excellent an opportunity to combine academic achievement with real-world application. Capstone projects take many different forms, but all students produce a final product which demonstrates learning acquisition or conclusions and reflecting a deep understanding of the topic.

Here is a glimpse of the excellent work by some of our BScN students!

AnnieLaura Guimond

There are countless occurrences of unexpected death that happen due to overdose, natural causes, suicide, homicide, injury, accidents, undiagnosed illness, war, and terrorism. Sudden deaths may result in intense trauma for survivors. People who are close to the ones who die unexpectedly must endure emotional, physical, social, and spiritual suffering. Death is an inevitable part of life, yet unanticipated death can result in devastating grief that western culture does not equip people to bear or to witness. The concept of doulas for sudden death entered my life through a blog post that landed in my inbox six months after losing my father instantly to a heart attack. This piece is a personal expansion on the possibility of doulas who support people in their transition through grief after sudden loss.

Heather Gilliam

The majority of the nutrition cohort formed a capstone group to create an educational video series on various nutrition topics.  I chose to create a video on how important it is to get kids into the kitchen.  My goal is to encourage people to help children learn and use cooking and meal planning skills through hands-on experience.  In my classes at NUNM, I’ve been learning about how difficult changing eating habits can be as we age.  Developing healthier ways of eating while they’re young will set kids up for a better future.

Sara Joy Johnson

The majority of the nutrition cohort formed a capstone group to create an educational video series on various nutrition topics. My contribution was focused on food waste and the issues surrounding this topic in our current food system. Throughout the completion of this Nutrition program, my studies continued to deepen my passion for addressing sustainable food and farming practices, food system policy, and food security within our country. For this project, I really wanted to educate viewers why food needs to be diverted out of landfills, what it can be used for instead, why this impacts our planet, and how to re-purpose parts of produce that are often thought of as trash.

Madison Muhlhauser

The majority of the nutrition cohort formed a capstone group to create an educational video series on various nutrition topics. My video was an instructional cooking course on how to make bone broth. I wanted to focus on the idea that nutritionally dense foods can be made on a budget, with food scraps that would have already been collected, decreasing the amount of consumer food waste in our homes. The video goes into the reason why each ingredient is included, as well as its nutritional components.

Kim Nesbitt

The majority of the nutrition cohort formed a capstone group to create an educational video series on various nutrition topics. I chose “How to Eat Healthy on a Budget” for my topic. Being a student on a budget made me get creative on how to eat, let alone how eat healthy. I feel everyone should have access to nutrient-dense healthy food, regardless of income.

Derek Webster

The majority of the nutrition cohort formed a capstone group to create an educational video series on various nutrition topics. For my video I chose to provide an overview of nutritional supplements. Supplements can help someone get or maintain optimal health, but there is a lot of confusion for the general public regarding proper use and product safety. My hope is this video can act as a guide; bringing awareness to aspects of supplements of which the public may be less aware.

Want to see more student work? View additional Capstone Projects.