NUNM Global Health student reflects on transformative experience in rural Greece

Adam Patterson ’26 observed a training program that immerses young adults in a non-hierarchical, community-based approach to living.

Adam Patterson, right, working on site in Greece.
NUNM graduate student Adam Patterson, right, working on site in Greece.

This summer, I had the enriching opportunity to actively participate in and closely observe a youth training program hosted by the non-profit organization, Hopeland (known as Elpidohori in Greek), situated in a rural community center in Greece.

Aligned with the EU’s Erasmus program, Hopeland focuses on fostering sustainable practices and community engagement. The six-week program crafted by my fieldwork supervisor aimed at immersing young adults in a non-hierarchical, community-based approach to living, development, and sustainability.

Through this immersive experience, I witnessed firsthand the transformative impact on both the participants’ and my own skills, perspectives, and personal narrative. The exposure surpassed my initial expectations, providing valuable insights into the workings of the Erasmus program, sustainable community models, and Greek infrastructure and lifestyle.

By Adam Patterson, Naturopathic Medicine and Master of Science in Global Health ‘26. This story was originally published in the Winter 2024 edition of SUGS Pulse – the School of Undergraduate & Graduate Studies Newsletter.

Large group of students on work site posing for camera.