Prospective student often ask for ways to engage in material before they get to campus. While not required, our faculty have recommended some of their favorite books.
On Being a Therapist
- The Gift of Therapy: An Open Letter to a New Generation of Therapists and Their Patients, Irvin Yalom, 2009.
- On Becoming a Person: A Therapist’s View of Psychotherapy, Carl Rogers and Peter Kramer, 1995.
- On Being a Therapist, Jeremy Kottler and Rob Shapiro, 2012.
On Mindful Somatic Approaches in Therapy
- Body-Centered Psychotherapy, The Hakomi Method, Ron Kurtz, LifeRhythm, 1990.
- Body, Breath, and Consciousness: A Somatic Anthology, Ian Mcnaughtan and Peter Levine, 2004.
- Body/Mind Psychotherapy: Principles, Techniques and Practical Applications, Susan Aposhyan, 2004.
- The Body Remembers, Babette Rothschild, 2000.
- Hakomi Mindfulness-Centered Somatic Psychotherapy: A Comprehensive Guide to Theory and Practice, edited by Halko Weiss, Greg Johanson and Lorena Monda
On Interpersonal Neurobiology
- The Neuroscience of Psychotherapy: Healing the Social Brain, Louis Cozolino, 2010.
- Being a Brain-Wise Therapist: A Practical Guide to Interpersonal Neurobiology, Bonnie Badenoch, 2008.
- The Mindful Therapist: A Clinician’s Guide to Mindsight and Neural Integration, Dan Siegel, 2010.
On Attachment Theory and Therapy
- Becoming Attached: First Relationships and How They Shape Our Capacity to Love, Robert Karen, 1998.
- Attachment in Adulthood: Structure, Dynamics, and Change, Mario Mikulincer and Phillip Shaver, 2010.
- Attached: The New Science of Adult Attachment and How it Can Help You Find and Keep Love, Amir Levine and Rachel Heller, 2012.
- The Neuroscience of Human Relationships, Attachment and the Developing Brain, Louis Cozolino, 2014.
On Character /Developmental Theory
- Character Styles, Stephen Johnson, 1994.
- The Language of the Body, Alexander Lowen, 2012.
- The Body Reveals, Ron Kurtz, 1984.
On The Ethics of Professional Caregiving:
- Right Use of Power: The Heart of Ethics, Cedar Barstow, 2006.
- The Ethics of Caring: Honoring the Web of Life in Our Professional Healing Relationships, Kylea Taylor, 1995.
- The Ethical Use of Touch in Psychotherapy (And Political Culture), Mic Hunter and Jim Struve, 1997.
- Technical Foundations of Neurofeedback (Routledge Monograph Series on Neurotherapy and Qeeg Neurosci), Thomas F. Collura, 2013
- Neurofeedback in the Treatment of Developmental Trauma: Calming the Fear-Driven Brain, Sebern F. Fisher, 2014
- The Neurofeedback Solution: How to Treat Autism, ADHD, Anxiety, Brain Injury, Stroke, PTSD, and More, Stephen Larsen, 2012
- Biofeedback: A Practitioner’s Guide Paperback, Mark S. Schwartz (Editor), Frank Andrasik (Editor), 2005